The Trustees, acting together, govern NWN, safeguarding its assets and applying them as efficiently and effectively as possible to further NWN’s objects as set out in its governing document.
Duties and Responsibities
- Ensure that NWN complies with its governing document and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- Ensure that NWN pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document
- Ensure NWN applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objectives
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving strategic direction, setting overall policy, defining goals and evaluating performance against agreed targets
- Safeguard the reputation and values
- Ensure financial stability and effective and efficient administration
- Protect and manage the property of NWN and to ensure the proper investment of funds
- Keep informed about the activities of NWN and wider issues which affect its work
- Represent NWN at meetings and events as appropriate
- Make sure NWN is properly insured against all reasonable liabilities
- Appoint and support the employees and monitor their performance
- Attend meetings and consider papers in advance of meeting
- Declare any conflict of interest while carrying out the duties of a trustee
- Abide by the equal opportunities policy and code of conduct
- A commitment to NWN and its objectives
- An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of a Trustee
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to properly fulfil their duties as a Trustee
- Integrity and good, independent judgment
- Strategic vision
- The ability to contribute to the process of change
- An ability to think creatively
- A willingness to offer constructive challenge
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
Term and Time Commitment
Board members are appointed for an initial three year term with the opportunity to extend for a further two terms, a maximum of 9 years. There must be no less than 4 Board members and no more than 12.
The Board meets 6 times a year in London and there are two Sub Committees. The time commitment for the Chair would be equivalent to 2 days per month and for the Treasurer and Trustees would be equivalent to 1-2 days per month.
These roles are unremunerated. Travel expenses as well as other out of pocket expenses directly incurred as part of official Trustee business will be reimbursed.
Board Dates 2017